The live-action film adaptation of Nitroplus and DMM Games’ Touken Ranbu franchise on Wednesday revealed new cast, a visual, and January 18 release date on their official website.
The text in the visual reads, “Mission: Assassinate Oda Nobunaga.”
The new cast includes:
- Kōji Yamamoto as Oda Nobunaga
- Norito Yashima as Toyotomi Hideoyshi
All other casts:
- Hiroki Suzuki as Mikazuki Munechika
- Yoshihiro Aramaki as Yamanbagiri Kunihiro
- Ryō Kitamura as Yagen Toushirou
- Masanari Wada as Heshikiri Hasebe
- Hiroaki Iwanaga as Nihongou
- Fūma Sadamoto as Honebami Toushirou
- Taizō Shiina as Fudou Yukimitsu
- Tomoki Hirose as Uguisu Maru
The live-action is directed by Saiji Yakumo and distributed by TOHO, with Yasuko Kobayashi handling the script.
The Tōken Ranbu Online “sword personification training game” takes famous swords from Japanese history and interprets them as bishōnen. Nitroplus designed the characters and scenario. The game launched in Japan in 2015. The franchise has inspired a series of stage plays and a series of stage musicals, the Katsugeki: Touken Ranbu television anime series and an upcoming anime film, and the two Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru spinoff anime series and a compilation anime film.
The franchise inspired the Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru anime. The anime’s first season premiered in October 2016, and the second season premiered on January 7. The studio ufotable produced Katsugeki! Tōken Ranbu, a separate television anime that ran last summer. It will have a theatrical film project.